Sephora announced it will open 100 new store locations across North America in 2020, marking the largest single-year North American expansion in the omni-retailer’s history. Under the leadership of Jean André Rougeot, who joined Sephora Americas as president and chief executive officer in February 2019, Sephora is more than doubling the number of openings from the previous year. The new stores will open in locations where clients live and work, including street and local centers, as well as a mix of new and established shopping centers, with the primary focus being on ease and convenience for all clients.
“As I approach the close of my first year with Sephora, I am exceptionally proud of what the Sephora team has achieved. We are optimistically relentless and excited about our growth plans for the future,” Rougeot said. “Our focus continues to be on anticipating the beauty needs and desires of our diverse clients across North America. As we look at ways to continue to be more inclusive and accessible, brick-and-mortar continues to be a huge opportunity for us to deepen emotional connections with our clients and local communities. It’s through our interactive store environment, our best-in-class educational tools and services and incredible engagements with our beauty advisors that we are able to best service and inspire clients on their beauty journey.”
On the heels of large-scale openings at New York’s Hudson Yards and Times Square, and the most recent grand re-opening at The Grove in Los Angeles in November 2019, Sephora will open stores in more than 75 cities centered around local neighborhoods and community centers, including in Charlotte, North Carolina; Nashville, Tennessee and San Jose, California. The stores will feature a sleek architectural and visual design that focuses on the classic Sephora DNA look and feel and utilize more cost-effective materials allowing the retailer to deepen the investment in client centric experiences, services and employee development. Additionally, all new stores will be powered by 100% renewable energy, helping to reduce the retailer’s energy consumption and underscoring its commitment to the planet via its Sephora Stands sustainability program.
As part of the retailer’s strategy, the store mix will also include a 4,000 square foot format for a selection of local stores. The smaller footprint will more seamlessly integrate into street and local center locations and will feature layout changes, including haircare and skincare more prominently at the front of the store, a new Sephora Studio for skin and beauty services, while keeping the beauty advisor service and self-discovery experience concepts, like mobile checkout, Find Your Fragrance and Beauty on the Fly.
The Sephora retail concept is grounded in presenting its clients with the most unique product assortment, store design and client services. More than 20 years ago, Sephora was the first beauty retailer to employ the unique open-sell philosophy, allowing clients to shop a myriad of brands and encouraging them to try, test and play with everything from lip glosses to blushes, skincare to fragrance. Here’s what you can expect to discover in all new Sephora North America locations:
- The largest selection of prestige beauty options from more than 400 carefully curated brands, ranging from cosmetics, skincare, hair care, wellness and fragrance, including Sephora Collection
- Sleek, easy to navigate fixtures at the front of the store that enable you to discover a new product or brand favorite
- Beauty studio service for all levels of interest, guided by the most educated and dedicated beauty advisors in the business
- Innovative digital beauty tools that aid in discovery and personalized product recommendations, like Sephora Color IQ, a one-of-a-kind technology that scans the surface of your skin and assigns it a special number, which reveals scientifically precise foundation, concealer and lip recommendations, or the Sephora Digital Makeover Guide, which tracks all products used or recommended to clients during their in-store service and emails details to them for future reference
- Event and class schedules via Happening at Sephora online at Sephora or on the Sephora mobile App
“Everything we do at Sephora is with our clients’ evolving needs in mind,” said Jeff Gaul, senior vice president of real estate and store development at Sephora. “In looking at where and how today’s beauty lover is shopping, there’s no doubt that there’s a trend toward more local shopping destinations. This year, clients can expect to see more Sephora stores not only in malls and high-traffic shopping centers, but also closer to home. These locations are meant to complement our existing fleet and give clients a more personalized and customized experience.”